The East Meets West™ Quick Start includes Volumes I & II of East Meets West and a Teacher Story Grammar Marke® manipulative. East Meets West I & II are guides for the implementation of evidence-based clinical intervention for students who have language and reading disabilities. The authors, Maryellen Rooney Moreau, MEd, CCC-SLP of MindWing Concepts and Judy K. Montgomery, PhD, CCC-SLP of Chapman University took 22 picture story books and analyzed each book for theme, narrative structure, expository text features, phonological sensitivity skills, vocabulary and aspects of cultural influence. Each book or author is on the recommended lists for California or Massachusetts, hence the title, East Meets West™. East Meets West™ guides educators through aural/oral activities using quality children’s literature as a base and by:
- Providing detailed, ready to use interventions for small group or whole class settings.
- Integrating current theory and practice by providing ideas for modeling and guided practice.
- Providing the structure for read-alouds and activities to scaffold oral responses.
- Including organizational maps of text structures, lessons plans and children’s literature selections.
“Books can be created in many ways. These books came to life when we, two speech/language pathologists (Judy from California and Maryellen from Massachusetts), met one another in Dallas, Texas. We both look out onto different oceans at home, yet surprisingly we had many common experiences. Sitting on a pair of rocking chairs on a wooden porch at the end of a long day, we began talking. We talked about books, communication, language and literacy. That conversation quickly brought to light our mutual LOVE for helping children, and the educators who touch their lives. Here we were, "smack dab" in the middle of the country discovering our ideas and passion for education were merging with amazing speed and energy--just like a cross country highway! At the same time, each of our states was launching a huge reading initiative, and we knew we had a part to play in it. We were in the middle of the country and we were linking East and West. A book was born. We hope our passion helps you further yours.”
~ Judy K. Montgomery’s comment on East Meets West™
Children’s Literature analyzed in East Meets West™ Volume I:
- Miss Nelson is Missing
- Gingerbread Baby
- The Wednesday Surprise
- Big Al
- The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush
- Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge
- The Boy Who Was Followed Home
- Stephanie’s Ponytail
- On Mother’s Lap
- Horton Hatches the Egg
Children’s Literature analyzed in East Meets West™ Volume II:
- Hershel and the Hanukkah Goblins
- The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas
- The Wall
- Molly’s Pilgrim
- The Star Spangled Banner
- I Have A Dream
- Some Birthday!
- It’s My Birthday
- Nice Try Tooth Fairy
- Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch
- The Spider and the Fly